BUILDING OUR FUTURE
Our Campus Redevelopment Plan flows from our mission, vision, and strategic plan and is the culmination of many years of deliberation and development. As a result of our successful educational visioning process conducted in the spring of 2015 with teachers and parents, our architects, Acton Ostry, have developed a Campus Master Plan, which the Board of Vancouver College Limited approved in September.
Our new campus is designed to include concepts that have traditionally contributed to the students’ unique educational experience at Vancouver College (e.g. interaction amongst students at all grade levels through the use of shared spaces) while incorporating innovative, state-of-the art learning settings and increased school life opportunities.
Our financially responsible Redevelopment Plan is based on a phased construction strategy to ensure minimal disruption during construction. It also ensures that the College retains and preserves historic architectural elements of our heritage building in honour of our celebrated past.
The first phase will redevelop the site on which the Brothers Residence sits with a new Middle School, Manrell Hall that maximize shared spaces so all students can experience the uniqueness of a K-12 setting. This new building will include:
- The Learning Commons comprising the library, Student Services, Counselling, and the Learning Centre
- Enhanced and expanded Dining Hall without outdoor features
- Spacious classrooms arranged in “neighbourhoods” to improve collaboration, increase efficiencies, and advance learning performance
- “Makers” space for programs such as digital media, robotics, the arts, etc.
This building will initially be utilized as swing space while the subsequent redevelopment is executed.
The next phase will address the seismic and functional challenges of Lannon and McCormack Halls with the replacement of a brand new structure primarily for our Elementary Students. This new building will:
- Feature a Chapel, supporting the spiritual life of the school community.
- Consolidate and cluster the elementary grades to promote teacher collaboration and student interaction.
- Provide a special area for kindergarten students with easy access and adjoining enclosed play area
- House the Elementary School Learning Commons including the Elementary Library and space to accommodate our diverse learners
- Include the new Elementary school gym
- Create a beautiful and welcoming main campus entrance with improved way-finding, as strengthened by the relocated administrative functions.
More details will be shared with our community as they become available.
Vancouver College will be 100 years old in seven short years. We have work to do as we intend to be in our new facilities when we celebrate our centennial year in 2022.